SHORT CURRICULUM VITAE ET STUDIORUM
OF GIUSEPPE CRUCIANI
Giuseppe Cruciani, born 1964 in Todi (Perugia, Italy), is Associate Professor of Mineralogy at the Dept. of Earth Sciences of the University of Ferrara (Italy). He has been recently designated as Full Professor. Graduated in Geological Sciences on 1989 at the University of Perugia ‘cum laude’, in 1993 he got a Ph.D. in Mineralogy and Petrology at the University of Perugia. His major research fields are in crystallography and crystal-chemistry of zeolite-like minerals and their synthetic analogues, rock-forming minerals (e.g. micas and melilites), and some oxide systems. His experimental expertise is mostly focused on single crystal and powder diffraction, both with conventional X-rays and large scale facility radiations (synchrotron X-rays and neutrons). A large part of his scientific work deals with the in situ study of zeolite dehydration behavior (e.g. Cruciani, 2005, J. Phys. Chem. Solids, 67, 1973-1994). G. Cruciani has been elected President of SIMP (Italian Society of Mineralogy and Petrology) for the term 2012-2013. He served as a council member of AIZ (Italian Zeolite Association) and SILS (Italian Society of Synchrotron Light). G. Cruciani is Associate Editor of EJM and the SIMP representative in the Executive Committee of Elements. During 2008-2010 he has been a member of a project selection committee at ESRF (European Synchrotron Radiation Facility) and is presently in the review panel of ELETTRA. He co-authored 97 papers on international refereed journals and 7 book chapters in the fields of Mineralogy and Solid State Chemistry. His congress presentations include 140 contributions (15 invited, 64 orals, 61 posters)
The h-index of G. Cruciani, calculated from "Scopus", is equal to 18 (Dec. 2011).
COMPLETE CURRICULUM VITAE ET STUDIORUM
OF GIUSEPPE CRUCIANI
First name and surname: Giuseppe Cruciani
Birth date, birthplace: 11 February 1964, Todi (PG)
Home address: Via D. Fabris 11/3
I-30175 Venezia (Italy)
Present academic position: Associate Professor
Affiliation: Department of Earth Sciences
University of Ferrara
Via Saragat, 1
I-44100 Ferrara (Italy)
Spoken languages: English, French
27 April 1989: Degree in Geological Sciences (B.S./M.S.) at the University of Perugia with final graduation score of 110/110 cum laude.
08 June 1993: Ph.D. in Mineralogy and Petrology at the University of Perugia. Title of PhD thesis: "Studio di cristallochimica comparativa su flogopiti 1M naturali". Supervisor: Prof. P.F. Zanazzi.
01 December 1993 – 31 August 2001: Researcher in Mineralogy, at the Institute of Mineralogy, University of Ferrara;
01 September 2001 – present: Associate Professor of Mineralogy, at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Ferrara;
13 July 2010 - designated Full Professor of Mineralogy.
- December 1990 - February 1991: stage with fellowship at the Departamento de Mineralogia y Petrologia, University of Granada (Spain). Local contact: F. Nieto;
- February - April 1995: HERCULES course (Grenoble, France);
- March - September 1996: visiting scientist at the Swiss-Norwegian beamlines (SNBL) of the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF, Grenoble, France). Local contact: H.-P.Weber.
Experiments at synchrotron and neutron diffraction facilities
(Note: pXRD, scXRD: X-ray diffraction from powders, single crystals; HR: high resolution; TR: time resolved; pND, scND: neutron diffraction from powder, single crystals; XAS: X-ray absorption spectroscopy; CT-mXRD,abs: XRD, absorption computed microtomography; BL: beam-line; [P]: principal investigator)
Facilities: ESRF: European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (Grenoble); ILL: nuclear reactor Institut Laue-Langevin (Grenoble); ELETTRA: Sincrotrone Trieste.
- 1992: XAS at the BL INFN-PULS, ADONE, Laboratori Nazionali di Frascati;
- 1993: TR-pXRD at the BL X7B di NSLS, BNL (NY, USA);
- 1996: HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL di ESRF (exp n. 01-01-36 [P] n. 01-01-37 [P] e n. 01-02-40); scXRD with CCD at the BL ID11 of ESRF;
- 1997: pXRD at the BL XRD1 of ELETTRA; wide/low angle XRD at the BL 8.2 of SRS (Daresbury, UK); HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL of ESRF; pND at the BL D2B of ILL;
- 1998: HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL of ESRF; pND at the BL D2B of ILL;
- 1999: scND at ILL; TR-pXRD at the BL GILDA of ESRF (exp n. CH-818) [P]; TR-pXRD at the BL B2 of HASYLAB (Hamburg) P];
- 2000: pXRD at the BL XRD1 of ELETTRA; TR-pXRD at the BL GILDA of ESRF (exp n. CH-818bis) [P];
- 2001: HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL of ESRF (exp n. CH-894); TR-pXRD at the BL GILDA of ESRF (exp n. 08-02-267).
- 2002: HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL of ESRF (exp n. CH-1321) [P]; HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL of ESRF (exp n. CH-1326) [P];
- 2003: scXRD at the BL XRD1 of ELETTRA; HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL of ESRF (exp n. CH-1537);
- 2004: pND at the BL D2B of ILL [P]; TR-pXRD at the BL GILDA of ESRF (exp n. CH-1807);
- 2005: scXRD at the BL XRD1 of ELETTRA; TR-pXRD at the BL GILDA of ESRF (exp n. 08-02-614); TR-pXRD at the BL GILDA of ESRF (exp n. 08-02-620) [P];
- 2006: HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL of ESRF (exp n. CH-2148) [P]; total scattering PDF analysis at the BL ID31 of ESRF (exp n. CH-2212) [P]; pND at the BL D2B of ILL (exp n. 5-21-922)[P];
- 2007: XAS at the BL BM29 of ESRF (exp CH-2342) [P];
- 2008: TR-pXRD at the BL GILDA of ESRF (exp n. 08-02-640); HR-pXRD at the BL SNBL of ESRF (exp n. CH-2699) [P];
- 2009: HR-pXRD at the BL ID31 of ESRF (exp n. CH-2924) [P]; XRD at high pressure (HP) at the BL ID27 of ESRF (exp n. HS-3936) [P];
- 2010: CT-mXRD,abs at the BL ID22 of ESRF (exp n. CH-3087);
- 2011: HR-pXRD at the BL ID31 of ESRF (exp n. CH-3370) [P];
- 2012: allocated HR-pXRD at the BL ID31of ESRF (exp n. CH-3371) [P].
Funding and contracts
- from 1996 to 2011: proponent of several research projects funded by public institutions and industrial enterprises and managed by the Consorzio Ferrara Ricerche (University of Ferrara), for a total amount of € 55.360;
- in 2007, 2008 and 2010: proponent of three research projects founded by an industrial enterprise (Daunia Wind) and a research institution (CNR-ISTEC), and managed by the Department of Earth Sciences;
- from 1993 to 2008: component of research projects funded by the University of Ferrara;
- in 2010: proponent of research projects funded by the University of Ferrara;
- in 1999, 2001, 2004 and 2006: component of research projects co-funded by the MURST/MIUR;
- from 2009 to 2011: coordinator of project “Nanomateriali per l’energia – Ottimizzazione dei nanomateriali per applicazioni al solare”, founded with 116.000 euro, in the framework of Accordo-quadro signed between 'Ministero dello Sviluppo Economico' (MiSE), formerly 'Ministero del Commercio Internazionale', the 'Istituto nazionale per il Commercio Estero' (ICE) and the 'Conferenza dei Rettori delle Università Italiane' (CRUI).
- member of the organizing committee of "Giornate Studio AIZ '99", Ferrara 14-15 September 1999;
- organizer of a workshop on "Metodo Rietveld e sue applicazioni per l’analisi quantitativa modale delle fasi" at the CNR-ISTEC in Faenza, 11-12/17-18 December 2002;
- co-organizer, with G. Artioli (Padova), of the School of Gruppo Nazionale di Mineralogia (GNM) on "Proprietà ed applicazioni dei minerali alla nanoscala", Otranto (Lecce), 14-18 June 2004.
- co-convenor, with G. Ferraris (Torino), of session "GEO/06 – Mineralogia" at congress "Geoitalia 2005, Quinto Forum Italiano di Scienze della Terra", Spoleto, 21-23 September 2005;
- member of the scientific committee of the National School on "Diffrazione da Materiali Policristallini", Martina Franca (TA), 26-30 June 2006;
- member of the organizing committee of "XXXV Congresso Nazionale AIC", Ferrara, 18-21 September 2006;
- co-convenor, with B. Cesare (Padova) and S. Harley (Edinburgh), of session "Volatiles in minerals and their petrologic implications" at the meeting Frontiers in Mineral Sciences 2007 (Cambridge, 25-28 June 2007);
- co-convenor, with S. Quartieri (Messina) and P. F. Zanazzi (Perugia), of session "Aspetti strutturali, energetici e dinamici delle trasformazioni mineralogiche in condizioni non ambiente" al congress "Geoitalia 2007, Sesto Forum Italiano di Scienze della Terra", Rimini, September, 11-14 September 2007;
- member of the scientific committee of "XVI Convegno SILS" (Palermo, 26-28 June 2008);
- member of the organizing committee of IZA-IMMS2010, the forthcoming joint conference of the International Zeolite (IZA) and Mesoporous Materials (IMMS) Associations, Sorrento 4-9 Luglio 2010;
- member of the scientific committee of 39th National Congress of the Italian Society of Mineralogy and Petrology (SIMP);
- member of the scientific committee of the congress Geoitalia 2011, 8th Forum of the Earth Sciences, Torino, 21-23 Settembre 2011;
- member of the scientific committee of the 2nd Join Meeting SILS-SISN, XIX Convegno Nazionale SILS ~ XXII Convegno Nazionale SISN, Trieste, 1-3 settembre 2011;
- member of the scientific committee of the International Symposium on Advances in Zeolite Science and Technology, Napoli, 14 – 17 Settembre 2011;
- Co-convenor, together with B. Cesare (Padova), G. Della Ventura (Roma) and F. Nestola (Padova) of session “Idrogeno nei minerali nominalmente anidri o idrati:un elemento chiave nei processi crostali e nel mantello terrestre”at the Congress Geoitalia 2011, 8° Forum Italiano di Scienze della Terra, Torino, 21-23 Settembre 2011;
- member of the scientific committee of the First European Mineralogical Conference (EMC2012) to be held in Frankfurt during September 2-6, 2012;
- member of the International Advisory Board of 2nd Iran International Zeolite Conference (IIZC’12) to be held at the Università di Arak (Iran) in June 6-7, 2012.
Services in national societies
- 2004 - 2007: Council member of the Società Italiana di Mineralogia e Petrologia (SIMP);
- 2005 - 2009: Council member of the Associazione Italiana Zeoliti (AIZ);
- 2008 - today: representative member for the Earth Sciences in Council of the Società Italiana di Luce di Sincrotrone (SILS);
- 2009 - today: member of working group "Chemical Agents" of UNICHIM on analyical protocols for respirable silica;
- 2010 - 2012: Vice-President of the Italian Society of Mineralogy and Petrology (SIMP).
- President of the Italian Society of Mineralogy and Petrology (SIMP) for the term 2012 – 2013.
International services and appointments
- 2005 - today: Associate Editor for the European Journal of Mineralogy;
- 2007 - today: member of the Executive Committee of magazine Elements;
- 2008: member of the review panel of beamline CRG BM01/ SNBL at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF, Grenoble);
- 2008 – 2010: member of the Chemistry Review Committee (for selection of projects requesting beamtime) at European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (Grenoble);
- 2011 - today: member of the Proposal Review Panel “S - Hard condensed matter - Structures” at ELETTRA - Sincrotrone Trieste, AREA Science Park (Trieste);
- 2011 - today: member of the Referee Panel of the Norwegian Research Council for projects based on Large Scale Facilities.
- Oct 2008 – Sept 2009: contact for the sabbatical year of Mojgan Zendehdel – Associate Professor of Inorganic Chemistry, Arak University (Iran) – at the Department of Earth Sciences of Ferrara University.
Referee scientific journal and international agencies
- scientific journals: Acta Crystallographica, American Mineralogist, Applied Clay Science, Catalysis Today, Canadian Mineralogist, Chemistry of Materials, Contribution of Mineralogy and Petrology, Dyes and Pigments, European Journal of Mineralogy, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Lithos, Materials Research Bulletin, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, Mineralogical Magazine, Nanotechnology, Periodico di Mineralogia, Powder Diffraction, Journal of Applied Crystallography, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Journal of Petrology, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, Journal of Sedimentary Research, Zeitschrift fuer Kristallographie;
- national founding institutions and agencies: University of Padova (Progetti di Ricerca di Ateneo), MIUR (Progetti PRIN e FIRB).
- funding agencies abroad: National Science Foundation (NFS) americana, Georgia National Science Foundation (GNSF).
Member of scientific societies
- Associazione Italiana di Cristallografia (AIC);
- Associazione Italiana Zeoliti (AIZ);
- European Crystallographic Association (ECA);
- Gruppo Nazionale di Mineralogia (GNM);
- International Zeolite Association (IZA) ;
- Mineralogical Society of America (MSA);
- Società Italiana di Luce di Sincrotrone (SILS);
- Società Italiana di Mineralogia e Petrologia (SIMP).
- 1993 - 2001: System Manager of computing facilities at the Istituto di Mineralogia;
- 1993 - today: responsible of the Powder Diffraction and Thermal Analysis Laboratory at Departiment of Earth Sciences;
- 2002 - 2008: Council member of the "Centro di Strutturistica Diffrattometrica" of the University of Ferrara;
- 2008 - today: Vice-Director of the "Centro di Strutturistica Diffrattometrica" of the University of Ferrara;
- 2010 - today: council member of the "Centro di Microscopia Elettronica" of the University of Ferrara.
OF GIUSEPPE CRUCIANI
Courses Taught at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Ferrara
- Course of Mineralogy Laboratory, years: 97/98, 98/99, 99/00, 00/01;
- Course of Mineralogy Laboratory (60 hours) with tutorship, years: 01/02, 02/03, 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, 07/08, 08/09, 09/10;
- tutorship for Courses of Mineralogy (93/94, 94/95, 95/96, 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 99/00, 00/01) and Mineralogy Laboratory (95/96, 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 99/00, 00/01) for Degree in Geological Sciences, and for the Course of Mineralogy (93/94, 94/95, 95/96, 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 99/00, 00/01) for Degree in Natural Sciences;
- lessons within the Courses of Crystallography (20 hours) (98/99, 99/00, 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 03/04), Applied Mineralogy (20 hours) (99/00, 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 03/04) and Minerals with Industry and Human Health (8-12 hours) (04/05, 05/06);
- Course of Advanced Diffraction Techniques (30 hours), years: 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, 07/08, 08/09, 09/10;
- Course of Mineralogy, years: 08/09, 10/11, 11/12;
- Course of Advanced Mineral Techniques, years: 10/11, 11/12;
- Examination commissions for the above mentioned courses;
- Graduation commissions for the Degree in Geological Sciences;
- 2003 - today: responsible for certification of "type F" activities (e.g. internships) of undergraduates in Geological Sciences.
Supervision of student theses
(total: 16 as 1° supervisor, 3 as 2° supervisor, 1 as co-supervisor, 5 others)
Teaching activities in post-graduate education (M.S. and Ph.D.)
- Member of the Advisory and Teaching Committee of the Doctoral Course in Earth Sciences at the University of Ferrara (years 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, 07/08);
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Doctoral School in Earth Sciences at the University of Padova (years 05/06, 06/07);
- Member of the Advisory and Teaching Committee of the 1st level Master Degree in "Tecniche di Monitoraggio Geologico – Ambientale", curriculum in "Tecniche di caratterizzazione dei geo-materiali per l’industria e l’ambiente" (year 02/03);
- Lecturer appointed by the Faculty of the Courses "Minerali industriali in contesto ambientale ed antropico" (20 hours) and "Tecniche avanzate di caratterizzazione mineralogica" (20 hours) for the 1st level Master Degree in "Tecniche di caratterizzazione dei geo-materiali per l’industria e l’ambiente" (year 02/03);
- Lecturer appointed by the Faculty of the Course "Minerali per il recupero ambientale e delle risorse idriche" (8-12 hours) for the 1st level Master Degree in "Geotecnologie di monitoraggio ambientale per la gestione del territorio" (years 03/04, 04/05, 05/06);
- Lecturer on "Asbestos Minerals", "Respirable Silica" and "Portland Cements", for Ph.D. students.
Supervisor of Ph.D. Theses
- Thesis: "Caratterizzazione mineralogico-tecnologica delle fasi dei pigmenti ceramici", Ph.D. Francesco Matteucci, Doctoral Degree in Earth Sciences (XVI series) at the University of Ferrara, 2004;
- Thesis: "Esposizione professionale ad amianto nell’area industriale di Siracusa: mappatura delle aziende, mansioni riconosciute e tipologia del minerale impiegato", Ph.D. Antonio Mignosa, Doctoral Degree in Earth Sciences (XX series) at the University of Ferrara, 2009;
- Thesis: “Studio del rilassamento locale dell’intorno cationico in alcune strutture di ossidi e silicati con potenziali applicazioni tecnologiche tramite approccio cristallografico/spettroscopico” Ph.D. Matteo Ardit, Doctoral Degree in Earth Sciences (XXIV series) at the University of Ferrara, (in progress).
Supervisor of Internship Reports
- Internships whitin the program of the 1st level Master Course in "Tecniche di caratterizzazione dei geo-materiali per l’industria e l’ambiente" (2003):
- Report: "Caratterizzazione del fibrocemento ecologico prodotto dalla ditta Maranit", Dr. Franco Farinelli, internship at Maranit S.p.A. (FE);
- Report: "Operazioni di sintesi di quattro pigmenti ceramici con struttura a pirocloro", Dr. Carlo Piroddi, internship at Colorobbia S.p.A (FI);
- Report: "I cementi compositi: analisi quantitativa modale delle fasi cristalline e della frazione vetrosa in costituenti dei cementi con attività idraulica latente (loppe di altoforno, ceneri volanti e fumi di silice)", Dr. Gabriele Vola, internship at CTG S.p.A. - Italcementi Group (BG);
- Report: "Indagine mineralogico-petrografica di laterizi appartenenti al complesso del Gran Palazzo degli Imperatori di Bisanzio", Dr. Paolo Ballato, internship at CNR-ISTEC (Faenza).
Lectures and workshops for undergraduates, Ph.D. students and others
- introduction to use of powder diffraction with conventional sources, at the Department of Earth Sciences, and with non-conventional radiations (synchrotron X-.rays and neutrons) at the large scale facilities;
- introduction to use of the Rietveld method;
- introduction to use of the single crystal diffraction instrument (Nonius KappaCCD diffractometer equipped with an area detector) at the Centre for Structure Analysis by Diffraction of the Chemistry Department of Ferrara University;
- presentation lectures at secondary schools;
- public lectures in the framework of the "Weeks of Scientific Culture" organized by MURST/MIUR.
Other activities for the Faculty of Sciences at the University of Ferrara
- 1995-98: delegate of Researchers at the Faculty of Sciences.
Courses taught at National and International Schools at post-graduate level
1. "Diffrazione da materiali policristallini con luce di sincrotrone. Applicazioni in ambienti condizionanti". III Scuola Nazionale di Luce di Sincrotrone e Ricerca Chimica. Cagliari, 2-11 October 1995;
2. "Le miche nelle rocce vulcaniche: cristallochimica e significato petrologico". Scuola del Gruppo Nazionale di Mineralogia "La Mineralogia in aree vulcaniche". Isole Eolie, 17-21 June 1996;
3. "Diffrazione da polveri con Luce di Sincrotrone". IV Scuola Nazionale di Luce di Sincrotrone e Ricerca Chimica. Cagliari, 1-10 October 1997;
4. "Metodi sperimentali in diffrazione da polveri". Scuola della Associazione Italiana di Cristallografia. Perugia, 8-12 September 1998;
5. "Diffrazione dei raggi X: il metodo delle polveri, principi". Giornate di Diffrattometria e Microscopia Applicate. Monteponi, Iglesias, Cagliari, 27 Settembre - 1 October 1999;
6. "Diffrazione dei raggi X: dimostrazioni al computer". Giornate di Diffrattometria e Microscopia Applicate. Monteponi, Iglesias, Cagliari, 27 Settembre - 1 October 1999;
7. "Metodo Rietveld e sue applicazioni per l’analisi quantitativa modale delle fasi: principi e teoria di base". Workshop presso il Centro CNR-ISTEC di Faenza, 11-12/17-18 December 2002;
8. "Analisi quantitativa I: introduzione". Scuola estiva di Diffrazione da Materiali Policristallini. Alessandria, 21-25 June 2004;
9. "Sorgenti non convenzionali". Scuola Nazionale di Diffrazione da Materiali Policristallini. Martina Franca (TA), 26-30 June 2006
10. "Analisi Quantitativa". Scuola Nazionale di Diffrazione da Materiali Policristallini. Martina Franca (TA), 26-30 June 2006;
11. "Produzione di manufatti in fibrocemento "asbestos-free". IUSS Summer School of Advanced Studies on "Waste Recycling and New Building Materials: Innovative Technologies from Geosciences and Engineering", Ferrara, 03-07 July 2006;
12. "Introduction to diffraction", IUCr School on Basic Crystallography, Pontignano (SI), 27 August - 2 September 2006;
13. "Powder diffraction", IUCr School on Basic Crystallography, Pontignano (SI), 27 August - 2 September 2006;
14. "Analisi Quantitativa: Metodi Tradizionali e Rietveld". VIII Corso di Formazione AISA. Tito Scalo (PZ), 25-28 September 2006;
15. "Analisi Quantitativa: Metodi RIR con esempi". IX Corso di Formazione AISA. Tito Scalo (PZ), 1-4 July 2008;
16. "Analisi Quantitativa: Metodi Rietveld con esempi". IX Corso di Formazione AISA. Tito Scalo (PZ), 1-4 July 2008.
OF GIUSEPPE CRUCIANI
The research activity of Prof. Giuseppe Cruciani has focused in the fields of Mineralogy and Crystallography and, more in particular, on the use of diffraction from single crystal or powders (Rietveld method), and based on conventional (laboratory) and non-conventional (synchrotron X-rays and neutrons) radiation sources. The skills gained by Prof. Cruciani on the use of large scale radiation facility (e.g. with the Hercules Course and during the stay at SNBL) have allowed him to develop research projects based on advanced techniques and to provide a unique contribution in the collaboration work. The skills of Prof. Cruciani include the ability to analyse and describe crystal structures and crystallochemical relationships of complex mineral systems as zeolites, zeolite-like materials, micas, and so. This recognized ability is testified by the large number of collaboration works in which Prof. Cruciani appears as the expert crystallographer in the team (e.g. the structure determination work of porous metallosilicates in collaboration with the ENI laboratories, the study of ceramic oxides with the CNR-ISTEC institute, the investigation of micas in collaboration with the Padua University). The recognized expertise of Prof. Cruciani in crystallography, powder diffraction and use of large scale facilities is also testified by his important activity as invited teacher at national and international post-graduate schools.
The research interests of Giuseppe Cruciani can be grouped according to the following four lines:
- Crystal structure and crystal-chemical studies of rock-forming minerals; among them, in particular: micas, feldspars, and melilites. Studies mostly performed by single crystal X-ray diffraction and micro-analysis;
- Crystallographic investigation of zeolites and zeolite-like minerals and their synthetic analogs by means of single crystal and powder diffraction. These studies are aimed either to crystal structure determination or to analysis of structure-properties relationships;
- In-situ structural analysis of hydrated minerals (e.g. zeolites) upon heating, using single crysal or time-resolved powder diffraction with synchrotron radiation and the Rietveld method;
- Structural and crystallochemical studies of oxide and silicate systems (e.g. perovskite, pyrochloro, rutile, srilankite, pseudobrookite, malayaite, hardystonite, alumoniobite, spinelli), also doped with transition metal ions, with potential applications as ceramic pigments and multifunctional materials and with the main aim of understanding the short range structural relaxation mechanisms.
- Structural analysis at non ambient conditions (HP e HT) to determine the elastic and thermoelastic properties of oxides and silicates (perovskites, melilite-type structures);
- Crystallographic studies of compounds (metalli e ossidi) used in catalysis (e.g. H2O2 production) and environment (e.g. NOx removal), also supported on micro- and mesoporous materials;
- Investigation of the hydration kinetics of Portland cements and historical mortars by XRD micro-tomography and Rietveld quantitative phase analysis;
- Studies of zeolites for several different applications (pigments, adsorbent materials for solar energy storage);
- Crystal structure e crystalline growth analyses of nanocrystalline anatase for applications in photo-voltaic cells.
Up to date, Prof. Giuseppe Cruciani is author and co-author of 98 scientific articles on refereed international journals and 7 book chapters. Other publications include 9 lecture notes resulting from invited lectures held at national and international schools.
Congress presentations of Prof. Cruciani at national and international meetings include 140 abstracts (of which 15 invited talks, 64 oral, and 61 poster contributions).
The h-index of Prof. Cruciani, from "Scopus" (Elsevier B.V.), is equal to 18 (last update: December 2011).